If you are on the path to being a positive person, you’ve undoubtedly noticed that there are a lot of things out there that keep us stuck in a negative mentality! Unfortunately, in today’s society, being positive isn’t highly promoted. Therefore, many of us have become socially conditioned into negativity, often without even realizing it. We’re doing a lot of things to ourselves that we should stop doing if we want to be happier.
Though there are many things we should stop doing to be happier, here is a list of 10 we can get started with. It may take us a while to completely rid ourselves of these negative behaviors, but doing so is well worth our efforts!
1. Blaming others: Today, it is very common for people not to take responsibility for their own circumstances and instead blame other people for their problems.
In truth, everything that is going on in our realities is of our own creation, so at the end of the day we really have no one to blame but ourselves. When faced with a challenge, taking ownership of it will empower and uplift you.
2. Comparing ourselves to others: We are all unique creatures, and without our differences this would indeed be a very boring world to live in.
To be a more positive person, drop the need to compare yourself with other people. Your talents are unique to you, and by attempting to measure up with someone else, you will overlook what makes you great.
Let your uniqueness shine, and allow yourself to appreciate the greatness in others without feeling like you need to measure up to it.
3. Listening to angry, sad or hostile music most of the time: Music is a fantastic vehicle for emotion. If you are trying to become more positively minded, be careful of the music that you typically select.
Choose high vibrational music most of the time to keep you uplifted and motivated. For some suggestions on how to select high vibrational music, check out this article.
4. Trying to impress each other: Many times we look for outside validation of our greatness. We allow how popular we are or how many “likes” we get on social media to define our self-worth.
Realize that you are great no matter what anyone thinks. You have a lot to offer the world, and whether or not other people recognize it, we need you here doing what you do best. To be more positive, only worry about impressing yourself!
5. Playing hard to get: Many of us play coy with our emotions. We don’t give love, hugs and kindness freely because we don’t want to be perceived as being too clingy or needy.
This withholding of love creates a society where we are all a little afraid to connect with each other because we’re too busy playing it cool. Realize that everyone appreciates a compliment, a kind word or appreciation.
Give your love freely to others, and you will receive more in return.
6. Being confrontational: Confrontation has been put on a pedestal these days. We love reality shows and talk shows where people fight and get in each other’s faces.
Positive people, however, try to find common ground with all people. They don’t get caught up in the hype. When faced with opposition in another they look for a way to love and accept.
The people who are the most confrontational are usually the ones who need the most love, so to be more positive try to find empathy for those who are struggling to be kind.
7. Needing to be right: This item goes hand in hand with the last one. Often times, we feel the need to defend our perspectives. When we receive any kind of criticism we feel the need to explain our position and why it is the right one.
Becoming more positive requires that you let go of the need to be right. Trust that your perspective, while it might be the right perspective for you, may not be the right perspective for someone else.
It is impossible for us to step into another person’s shoes and see an issue from where they stand because there are too many differences (physical, mental, emotional, environmental, etc) that stand between us. At the end of the day, it’s a good thing that there are so many opinions because it means that there are more options for all of us to choose from. Again, if we all agreed on everything our world would be boring and stale.
8. Exposing ourselves to negative television programming: Many of us sit in front of a screen for many hours every day. A lot of the programming that is on today focuses on drama, crime, disaster and competition.
Recognize the messages of the programming you choose to subject yourself to. It is easier to be a positive person when you choose not to watch programming that encourages negativity.
9. Racing through life: We often forget to stop and smell the roses. We feed into this idea that we need to be constantly busy to be productive and respectable people.
However, the best times in life occur when we allow ourselves to get lost in the moment. If you feel pulled to admire the night sky, give your children a long hug or take a day off from work, do it!
To be more positive we must enjoy the opportunities around us and stop racing past all of the good stuff.
10. Greediness: Sadly, we currently live in a world that promotes separation. Many of us believe that what’s ours is ours, and that we need to protect our assets from others. Greediness is a manifestation of this concept.
To be a more positive person, realize that we are all in this together. If everyone gave just a little bit more, what a beautiful world this would be! So pick up that cup of coffee for a friend, or buy your mom a gift just because.
You can’t take your possessions with you when you die, so try to share them a little more with the world while you are here.
There are many things that we can do to become more positive people, so this is just a starting place. Many of these behaviors have been engrained in us for a very long time, so some of them may be a little difficult to erase. However, as we start taking steps down the path of positivity, the universe will support us and help us in our transformations.
At the end of the day, while dropping these behaviors clearly benefits other people, realize that it also benefits you! Life becomes a lot easier and happier when we stop allowing negativity to permeate our lives. Find your inner peace and life will become more enjoyable and fulfilling.
My name is Andrea Schulman. I am a former high school psychology teacher & the creator of ‘Raise Your Vibration Today.’ I teach people how to become masters of their minds through the Law of Attraction. Check out the full-length video tutorials on my membership portal and learn how to create a beautiful life with intention. XO