Are You Energy Sensitive? 6 Telling Signs

Commit to your happiness in order to create a better life with the Law of Attraction! No resolution necessary, just enjoy the ride! Be fearless
5 Ways to Commit to Your Happiness & Create a Better Life
October 19, 2015
Everything happens for a reason, and you get what you expect! This is the meaning of catharsis.
Everything Happens For a Reason: A Short Story
October 21, 2015
Are you energy sensitive? Here are some powerful practices to overcome the feeling of "I'm delusional"

Are You Energy Sensitive? 6 Telling Signs

As you’ve probably noticed before, there is a range in our sensory abilities.  Some people can see very well, others not very well at all.  Some have excellent hearing, while others are deaf.  The same applies to energy sensitivity, or as they call it, your “sixth sense.”   Are you energy sensitive?

When you break down reality, everything is made up of one thing, and that is vibrational energy.  Some people are very aware of the energy that surrounds them, and they can tell when energy is high and when it is low.  They easily sense “good” and “bad” vibes.  Other people, not so much.

As I am energy sensitive and work with other energy sensitive people, here are a few signs I see time and again.  Not all energy sensitive folks will carry each of these traits, but if you carry a few of them, you are probably quite sensitive to vibrational energy.

1. Deep empathy for others:

You can often spot the most energy sensitive person in the room when there is someone around who is hurt or upset.  Energy sensitive people are often the “first responders,” there to hold a hand, give a hug or lend a listening ear.  Energy sensitive people often feel other people’s emotions (and sometimes their physical pain too), and so they easily understand and empathize with people who are suffering.

2. Emotional rollercoasters:

Having a keen sense of vibrational energy often means that the high times feel very high but the low times feel very low.  Having some plans in place to help you raise your vibration can be very helpful,  especially during low times!

3. Addictions:

Being energy sensitive means you “feel” a lot more than many people.  To avoid feeling low vibrational energy, these individuals may lean on substances like drugs or alcohol in order to numb out the pain of negative sensory input.  They may also have a proclivity for other types of addictions, like food, gambling or shopping.

4. Being an excellent judge of character:

Energy sensitive people are often very aware of other people’s motivations, and many times they can “just tell when” someone is bad news.  This can be a very beneficial trait, as it makes one less likely to be conned or taken advantage of.

5. Possible introversion:

Not all sensitive folks are introverts, but many often are.  It can be overwhelming to take on the emotions and feelings of other people, and so often energy sensitive people withdraw and seek alone time in order to stabilize. They are often likely to feel drained after prolonged social interactions.

6. Receiving signs:

People who are sensitive to energy are much more likely to be aware of the signs the universe is sending to them.  They are more likely to find meaning in events and circumstances that most other people see as simply “coincidental.”

As you can see, being energy sensitive is a bit of a double-edged sword.  Being attuned to vibrational energy allows one to have a deeper understanding of the universe, but it also can lead to a degree of overstimulation, and this can cause a variety of problems if left unaddressed.

If you think you may be energy sensitive, there are a number of things you can do harness the power of your gifts and cope with the struggles of sensitivity.

First and foremost, anything that can help you intentionally raise your vibration or the vibration of your environment can be highly beneficial.  I personally recommend daily meditation or yoga for mental (and physical) training.  Saging your home and workspace regularly is also recommended.

Be mindful of the people you surround yourself with, and allow yourself to step away from toxic people, events and circumstances when you are feeling overwhelmed.  It is also very important to work toward self-acceptance, and learn how to love yourself and your gifts.

Being born into this world as an energy sensitive person comes with a unique set of responsibilities.  The constant influx of energy from one’s environment can be a overwhelming and painful at times.

However, when one learns how to manage this gift, great things can happen.  Reading energy and being able to empathize with others can be a tremendous asset.  Energy sensitive folks are well-equipped to evoke positive change in the world, and have the capacity to be some of the world’s greatest leaders, healers and teachers.

So, do you think you are energy sensitive?  Comment below and share your story.  I’d love to hear it.

Thanks for reading,

Andrea

Are you interested in learning how to raise your vibration?

If you’re enjoying this daily blog, you might also appreciate a membership with Raise Your Vibration Today.  Members learn how to reach their goals with positive thinking and the Law of Attraction and receive personalized support along with full access to my video tutorials, guided meditations, ebooks, and audiobooks.  Try out a membership for 30 days for just $0.99. You can also subscribe to my newsletter for more free information like this!

Image Source:  This image was reproduced with permission from the artist, Cameron Gray.

My name is Andrea Schulman. I am a former high school psychology teacher & the creator of ‘Raise Your Vibration Today.’ I teach people how to become masters of their minds through the Law of Attraction. Check out the full-length video tutorials on my membership portal and learn how to create a beautiful life with intention. XO

1. Anonymous says:

Yes I am.

2. Mary says:

I definitely identify with at least 4 and somewhat the other 2. I also feel like I notice details of my surroundings more than other people do. I need to learn how to think more positively though because I tend to be very negative and feel like that just attracts more negative things my way.

3. Daydra Facey says:

I definitely am a energy sensitive I’ve known about 9 months now. I believe I’ve always been one but just wasn’t aware at the time. For the longest time I thought I was going crazy lol I thought to myself how can I be feeling happy, sad and angry all at once. I’m so happy that I now know just I’m just an Empath or energy sensitive. I do yoga and meditating daily to help me. I’ve also used a few shielding techniques to help me as well, the one I use a lot is called “the zip up” it’s by Donna Eden you can find her on youtube. I also have a few stones and crystals that I carry with me when going outdoors and sometimes just to have with me inside nearby. I’ve used sage and I found it helped quite a lot to get rid of negative energy around me or in my home and negative entities as well. I’ve joined an online community of other empaths which has helped me so much. It was just really nice to know that I wasn’t alone or crazy 🙂

4. Hi Daydra! Yes, like you I was once very confused about the range of emotions…I will definitely check out that shielding technique, thanks for the suggestion! -Andrea 🙂

5. Hi Mary! Yes, it can be a challenge sometimes to think positive when your emotions get out of whack, and a lot of times this is just because we are more reactive than other people. -Andrea 🙂

6. Thanks for sharing Anonymous 🙂

7. Daydra Facey says:

You’re most welcome Andrea 🙂

8. Anniece says:

I connected with all of the signs. I’ve known since a young girl that I was an empath with other psychic abilities. I do have to become reclusive at times to regroup myself. The energy is draining and overwhelming at times so alone time and meditation is MUCH needed.Thank you for your articles.

9. Missy says:

I love this!! I can relate to every sign that I am energy sensitive. my entire life I knew I was different but didn’t know how or why. I had such insane amount of empathy and love for others, even as a child. I knew when people were in pain or struggling with something very difficult. I even sensed suicides twice right before they took their lives. But I didn’t understand at the time why I was so drawn and sensitive to these 2 people I barely knew. I grew up in a very dysfunctional environment, and every time I have to be around them, I can literally feel the negative energy, so bad that I had to leave as if my soul was screaming “get out of there” I am careful of who I surround myself with but I still struggle with everyday life because I take on the energies around me. Since my awakening last year, I am more sensitive than ever! I meditate everyday and it helps tremendously but it’s still a challenge. Great article!! Thank you

10. Thanks Missy! That’s pretty eerie about the suicides. Sometimes sensing things can be a little disturbing, huh? Thanks for sharing <3 -Andrea

11. Thanks Anniece! Yes, I definitely have reclusive tendencies too. Many people don’t understand it, but it is very helpful to step away at times! Thanks for sharing -Andrea 🙂

12. Amrish says:

Question – is being energy sensitive and an empath the same thing?

13. Hi Amrish! For most intents and purposes, yes…however I would say that being an empath is a more specific version of energy sensitivity. Some people with energy sensitivity lack the ability to read other people’s feelings and emotions, and that characteristic is a necessary component of empathy.

Hope this makes sense!

14. Tracey says:

Hello Amrish,

I found that the 6 signs are extremely correct about myself.
    It was very interesting as I know I have this energy, but to read each of the signs was amazing as each one described me perfectly.

I also feel the presence of my brother who has passed away. We were extremely close. He is 7 years older than me.

I’ve had 3 specific dreams about he and I when he passed.
    The first 2 dreams are very similar.

We would be at home and my brother would say, ‘he has to go out’.
    I would beg him to stay with me and he would say, ‘I can’t, I’m going out’.
    I would beg and beg to him, ‘please stay with me’.
    The first dream he said, ‘I’m meeting my friends’.
    The second dream was exactly the same as the first dream except he was leaving to catch the train.
    The end of my first 2 dreams it would end with him walking out the front door.

I would wake up from my dream in tears and such pain, the pain was excruciating.
    I would cry and cry and say things like, why him, why, I love him so much, why not take someone who deserves it, someone who has been cruel.

The third dream I had we were at home again, he said to me, ‘I’m leaving now’.
    This time I didn’t cry or beg him to stay. I can’t even remember saying goodbye.
    I do remember him leave through the front door as he did in the previous dreams.
    I remember feeling okay when he left.

I didn’t wake up crying, I woke up knowing that there is a meaning to the 3 dreams.
    I understood what the dreams meant after thinking about how I felt when I had the first 2 dreams and how I felt after the 3rd dream.

My brother came to visit me as he knew the pain I was dealing with. I would wait for my brother to come home via the front door, I hadn’t really processed that I will never see him again.

I couldn’t cry at his funeral as it was just so surreal to me.
    About 4 to 5 months later I was listening to a song and then I just broke down crying and my heart felt truly broken knowing I will not hug him again, talk and laugh again, really knowing to stop waiting for him to walk home threw the front door.

He knew I was in desperate pain waiting for him to come home, as he did when he was alive. He helped me realise through my dreams that he will never walk in the front door when I’m awake.

I have experienced so much more with my brothers presence.
    I’m feeling exhausted right now and need to say thanks for letting me reply and I wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year.
    Hope to hear from you.

Take care of yourself and your loved ones. Tracey

15. Tracey, thank you for sharing your story. Death is so painful, but also fascinating, isn’t it? Glad to hear your connection is strong. Much love to you <3 -Andrea

16. Patricia says:

I am …. Relative to all signs and great article!

17. Thanks Patricia! It’s nice to connect with other energy-sensitive people like you <3 -Andrea

18. Julie Jules says:

Hello Andrea
    Thanks for this posting. I believe I am energy sensitive but I dont know what to do about it. I am on medication to try help me cope with the world. I am diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder which happens to list all above as “symptoms”. I have tried suicide seven times because the pain gets too intense. I also see people at the moment of their death which is very distressing. Can you help me please?

19. Hi Julie

It is my opinion that many people with mood disorders (like borderline) are indeed energy sensitive! Of course, I am not a physician so you will want to consult a psychological professional, especially if you are feeling suicidal or experiencing extreme emotional trauma.

With that being said, I’ve found that dwelling more on the positive and less on the negative helps tremendously with stabilizing my emotions. I’ve come to understand that as I focus on the things that make me upset, it drives my emotions further and further down…however, when I focus on the positive the reverse is the case. So in moments of turmoil, it helps to tell myself something like “I don’t need to think about this right now,” followed by some deep breathing and then when I’ve calmed a little I will pick another activity or topic to dwell on as a distraction. I try to keep my mind off of topics that have the potential to send me into a tailspin, and I’ve found over the years, that this is highly effective way to keep my mind in a positive place.

If you are able to see less people at the moment of their death it is advisable. If this is your job, you might want to do a quick meditation or quickly imagine yourself surrounded by white light before witnessing these moments to take the edge off.

I’ve also created a list of things you can use to help improve your mood/raise your vibration. You might find them helpful as well. Here is the list: http://raiseyourvibrationtoday.com/how-to-raise-your-vibration-easy-law-of-attraction-tips/

Be well and take care of yourself. Your health is very important to me so please use these suggestions along with your regular medical and psychological care <3

-Andrea

20. Nicole Pinero says:

Yes this is me 100% , the stories could go on for days. I’ve been like this since childhood. I work in healthcare and I believe my gifts help me do my job better. I can smell when people come in with different infections, I can feel peoples depression, anxiety, pain, you have alot of empathy . Not only can I feel good or bad energy, I can see and feel spirits ( good or bad). I have a lot of pych deja vue, mostly from dreams and this other connection with my grandma, I was having a dream of her death and was crying hysterically in my sleep I woke up to the phone ringing and it was her telling me she’s fine and still here. P.s. we lived 45 minutes away from each other. When it was her time to pass my family and I was there I was holding her hand I leaned over and whispered in her ear “we are all here you can go home to the light now” she took one last breathe and passed. Yes all the energy you can encounter can wipe you out even for days…but I don’t think I would change a thing.

21. Hi Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I am sure your gifts are a benefit in your healthcare career and it sounds like you have a good handle on them which is fantastic. All the best to you 🙂

-Andrea

22. Anatoly says:

how to get rid of this sensitivity? this wild nightmare,continually feel illness people.

23. Hi Anotoly:) I like this question, because it’s given me a really good idea for a future article to write!

What I would say to you is that energy sensitivity CAN be a very good thing. Instead of getting rid of it, if I were in your shoes, I would use it to search for (and focus on) positive energy.

Use your strong sensitivity as a personal guidance system. When you feel negative vibes, take it as a clue to step away from whatever activity, conversation or thought that is evoking those feelings. Additionally, when you feel positive vibes, take it as a clue to lean in closer.

Right now, you are probably getting “trapped” in the bad vibes, because you’ve been lured in by them and you’ve stuck around them. Instead, try to catch negative vibes in the early, early stages, and move away from them before they gain the power to “hook” you.

You don’t have to be a victim of vibrational energy. Use your sensitivity to guide you in the direction you more prefer.

24. Anatoly says:

NO.I’m interested in getting rid of energy sensitivity.energy sensitivity is a very bad thing.I have her 4 years,disgusting

25. Anatoly-I understand you are frustrated, but frustration will only bring out the negative side of the sensitivity. Try to allow it to be what it is without judging it to take down some of the negative effects. If you are interested in eliminating your sensitivity, you would also be well-advised to spend less time thinking about it, talking about it and investigating it. The more focus you place on it, the bigger of a role it will have in your life. Best wishes.

26. yes i am. thanx andrea. can you please write someting on setting your goals with clarity- both personal and career related long term goals.

27. Hi Pratiksha- perhaps you will enjoy this article here. Have a great day:)

28. Rose says:

I have been forced in a situation where I wanted to run away because of extremely bad and negative energy. I usually immediately leave when sensing negative energy, in fact I sense negative energy so strong at times that it is overwhelming and physically impossible to get involved with the person, go to the place or engage in a certain activity or thought….sometimes it is less strong and then I have a choice whether to go in or not…but it is still negative…I have been forced by people into a situation full of negative energy, I used to have a very strong positive energy and be a very happy person…from day one that I have been forced in this situation…it’s like all my life/energy has been drained out of me…and I have suffered horribly from staying in the negative energy situation….it destroyed my brain, heart and body. I became extremely sick physically. As I had no choice to be there…and would sleep 20+ hours a day to try and recover….I had no choice but to use the “outside” resources to help me and started watching as many positive and uplifting things on the internet….I had to spend a very high amount just to counteract the extremely negative energy of the place I was forced into…I found that it’s not just “positive” talk…although that helps, but really the energy behind it…..I have been saved thanks to the internet….years after years I gained more and more energy…usually watching videos about people having a strong energy really helped…yes I am completely dependent on other people’s energies but I have no choice…I used to NEVER rely on anyone for emotions and energy, it came from inside of me….and sometimes when I would feel low, God would send people to help with their energies….I am trying now to go straight to the “source”…GOD…to get this energy from Him….there is so much blockage between us…my heart is so broken and my mind so broken…expressing emotions and crying and being more authentic and self aware and finding myself has been the result of this horrible nightmare, years now….There is this man I felt a very strong feeling for as I tried to escape once in Amsterdam…I met him in a café and he injected in me the strongest emotions ever…the strongest energy I have ever felt (apart from God)….I am still trying to understand what that was….not hormones…just an intense energy and that calmed me and gave me peace of mind and I could relax head on the table for awhile….but then was forced back again in the negative situation where I’m completely trappped….I cannot forget that strong “energy” experience, it was positive…but I know that man was trying to use it to harm me somehow….good energies can be manipulated to hurt others…anyway I have used the little energy I had left to help others I found on Facebook, hurting people who needed love. I have now officially run out of compassion inside and can only look out for myself and protect myself until I can get out. Music is EXTREMELY important in regaining energy….expressing emotions…..and some people have found me too via Facebook and helped me although they ended hurting my heart violently……whatever you are going through….with this gift…it’s for you and to help others…..no situation is hopeless….you can get out !!!! Every situation teaches something !!!!!!

29. Hi Rose, thank you for sharing your story! I really agree with your idea on using music as a healing tool. Keep moving forward, you are loved <3

30. Jamia Joy says:

I am. I’ve somewhat known since I was a child. Because I’m Christian, I was scared I would be called psychic and hid it for many years. When I was a teenager, I had a couple of friends or so I could talk to about it a little, but I didn’t understand it and was very scared (although I denied and suppressed the fear). When I was about 15 or 16, it got to the point where sometimes I couldn’t even stand close to people, or had to readjust the direction I was facing them (almost like I couldn’t let my core directly face them…..Idk if that was just my weirdness or actually had to do with energy sensitivity, but when I faced directly towards them, the energy was like a fire in my spirit). Around that time, I also saw an orb float past me in my room…..I’ve always wondered what it was and what it had to do with. I’ve randomly searched about orbs, but no real info ever comes up.

I also had spiritual gifts, which I guess goes hand in hand with this, (like visions and spiritual impressions, knowing things with no explanation of how I knew it, and I think maybe healing), so I was very confused about feeling energy, which felt connected to my spiritual gifts, yes, but still a slightly different gift. I even predicted 3 deaths on year and I felt guilty when it happened because I wondered if there was something I could’ve done to stop it from happening (I was 16 at the time and that guilt subconsciously followed me for a few years). I went through some hard times and was hurt really badly….I already had issues with depression at times, so after I was hurt, I went through some really tough years, and my time of healing was a bit lengthy……I even ended up going through cycles of turning off my emotions almost completely, but it hurt so badly and I felt very blocked, esp with the healing I had gained. Now, I’m better and have dealt with all that and really want to understand it all – my gifts. I still feel slightly blocked (maybe by my own lack of knowledge), and I don’t feel as strong as I used to be right now. but I’m slowly opening up more. I want to learn to use the natural abilities I was born with. I don’t think God gave us our gifts for nothing. But I don’t know where to start….and sometimes I feel alone in this. At one point, I even thought my gifts were lost, but now I can see signs that I’m still sensitive to energy, and that makes me happy. I want to grow, learn more, feel more, understand more……..but it’s going to take time and patience…..even though I wish I could just know everything I need to right now, lol! 🙂

This is my first time sharing all this. I’m glad to be able to get it off my chest. I’m sorry that my comment is so long and probably jumps around a lot! It’s really more of an opening up and a rant than a comment, lol!

31. Thanks for sharing your story Jamia Joy. I am glad this article resonated with you and that you were able to speak your truth. Happy New Year to you! 🙂 XO, Andrea

32. Chelle says:

I have never been a negative person the only problem i had when i was younger was my anger issues which made me treat people wrong. now i dont have such a hard time controlling my anger and I was such a happy person until I moved into my boyfriends house, ever since then i have been addicted to Alcohol, so is his mother. I find myself never wanting to clean as they don’t, and the Man who lived here long ago died of a heart attack in the room we stay in. I am terrified I am going to have one all the time now and have Panic Attacks often with the fact I can’t be alone in the house. after learning about empathics and energies im starting to notice these things especially i cannot go to the store and not feel overwhelmed. im going to be Saging this house soon and hope to see more of a Positive impact

33. Hi Chelle:) Yes, learning to use our emotions to our benefit (rather than our detriment) is a great skill for every empath to learn. Here is something that helped me along my path, maybe you will find benefit in it as well: http://raiseyourvibrationtoday.com/2015/09/29/the-abraham-hicks-emotional-guidance-scale-to-raise-your-vibration/

34. Mary Ann says:

I am very sensitive,I work in a dementia unit.I feel clearly how people feel,also animals.I’ve had a few experiences with the super natural.some times I just feel so drained from people.it’s very wearing.I can pick up right away if someone is feeling negative towards me,or walk in my unit and feel very heavy if things are going on
    I have been to Gettysburg battle field,pulling in .I immediately smelled sulphur from guns I thought a rein act ment was going on but it wasnt.as I walked the triangle I heard the hooves of horses runing past me.and I heard chanting
    I was standing at the wall where the Irish soldiers fought,I was standing on a big rock sort of teeter tottering when I felt someone behind me.like worried I would fall.I felt cold freezing spot.and dread in other spots.I never saw anything just hearing and feeling.
    I have had a ghost or spirit in my house that was talking to my young son.at first I thought it was just a invisible friend until I saw it.and my neighbor saw it too.he thought my son was behind me,and my son was at school..I’m not sure what gift I have if it’s being sensitive or a empathy or what.I find myself trying to supressential it.my first experience was at 9 years old.and it’s been said my mother had what ever this is too.when I feel just over welded drained.I use essential oils.

35. That’s pretty interesting Mary Ann. Sounds like you could be a professional psychic!

36. Jenn says:

This website is a blessing. I have always know there was something different with my spiritual capabilities however I didn’t understand how or why…but left myself open to the universe. After my dad passed away 3yrs ago I started having lots of experiences. I started taking anti-anxiety meds to try and control what was goin on. It helped for a few months then I realized side effects where worse than any benefits so I stopped taking meds. 3yrs later I am doin tons better but over the past 6 months I have had horrible insomnia. After much research and self analysis, I truly believe my issues are coming from possibly being and uncontrolled energy sensitive. I closely identify with all 6 items listed. As well as being able to check every box from every other website I have read about energy sensetives. I believe my insomnia is coming from all the energies I am absorbing daily and not practicing an outlet. I also think I might be sensitive to spirit energies. Since I have outwardly accepted that I might be an energy sensitive, I have been experiencing tons of spirit activity. And who ever is ttying to get my attention is now trying to grab my husbands attention. I am still in question about all of this, but I am going to leave the possibility of it open and continue to explore it until I know for sure I am an ES or not.

37. Hi Jenn, thanks for sharing your story! From the sounds of it to me, you may benefit from some “grounding” work with your Root Chakra. This can be helpful for people who feel “uncomfortably” sensitive.

Here are a couple of articles you may find useful <3

38. Jenn says:

Thank you so much for the information, I will definitely read through it. I did go to a local crystal/stone healing shop and spoke to the owner. She recommended black or dark grounding stones which will help remove negative energies, grounding my energy and centering my chakras, as well as blue crystals/stones for healing, protecting, etc. Started meditating with them and using aroma therapy for cleansing.

39. Hi Jenn, yes I really liked working with the black stones as well…black tourmaline is my favorite for grounding <3

40. andrew says:

I’m very sensitive to energy, its very hard to deal with at times my emotions are a rollercoaster and i don’t know what to do with this gift and how to protect myself from all the negatives energy

41. Hi Andrew:) You may benefit from doing some “grounding” work. Here is one article on my website you may find useful: https://raiseyourvibrationtoday.com/2015/08/05/root-chakra-unbalanced-grounding-methods/

XO

42. Najib Zaoui says:

Yes too much.

1 – Feeling drained or irritable from prolonged social exposure.
    2- Energy cords forming randomly and difficulty removing them.
    4 – Natural tendency for people to dump their negative energy on me
    5 – No one can lie to me
    6 – Know people’s thoughts, feelings, intentions and if they are hiding something
    7 – Painful/annoying when someone calls for you energetically yet is seing someone else (romantically).

Help?

43. Hi Najib <3 Absolutely. Techniques to raise your vibration will help shield you from the negative effects of energy sensitivity. Here are a bunch of suggestions, pick whichever calls to you as a good course of action.