Some scientists have suggested that the universe is infinite (sometimes this is referred to as the “multiverse”). Personally, I think it’s possible that metaphysical ideas like the Law of Attraction, reincarnation, and fractals all could support the idea of an infinite universe. So, to question the nature of reality a bit, I thought it might be fun to explore what it would mean to live in an infinite universe.
So, here are 11 “what ifs” to consider about our universe, if it is truly infinite. In this is an infinite universe, with unlimited possibilities, these are ideas that might be (or would have to be!) real. At least, that’s what I think. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this as well!
1. What if time never began and will never end?
2. What if you are eternal, and will live on forever in this infinite universe?
3. What if life can be purposeful, but it can also be meaningless?
4. What if free will and fate are both possible, or even occur at the same time?
5. What if things can get infinitely better in an infinite universe?
6. What if you are both infinitely insignificant, and infinitely powerful?
7. What if for every problem, there are an infinite number of solutions?
8. What if this universe is simply a speck inside of another, larger universe, which is inside another and another, and this continues on an infinite number of times?
9. What if you’ve already died many times in this lifetime?
10. What if it’s possible for you to have anything you want?
11. What if there are an infinite number of you?
These might seem like weird (or even disturbing) ideas to some people, but I’ve actually taken a great deal of comfort in them. The idea of endless possibilities has taken a lot of pressure off of me to “get things right.” I feel like we have all of the time in the world (or universe!) to do everything that we want to do.
I also feel that it really doesn’t matter if we screw up because maybe there are an infinite number of possible outcomes. Who cares if we make a mistake if we have an infinite number of do overs to get it right?
These are just my thoughts and opinions. I’m sure there are many other perspectives on this topic as well. It’s fairly common for us question the nature of reality, and it can be fun to think about and discuss our ideas.
So what do you think about the nature of reality? Do you believe it’s possible that we live in an infinite universe? If so, do you find this idea comforting, frightening or inconsequential? Let me know what you think!