Words of Wisdom From Lao Tzu: 18 Quotes That Inspire
Lao Tzu was a famous Chinese philosopher, most noted for writing a famous text called the Tao Te Ching some time around the year 500 BCE. The Tao Te Ching is a manual for living, and the book of Taoism (a religion and philosophy believed to be founded by Lao Tzu). Here are some of the most famous words of wisdom from Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching:
1. “By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.”
2. “Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”
3. “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”
4. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”
5. “Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.”
6. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”
7. “Those who have knowledge, don’t predict. Those who predict, don’t have knowledge.”
8. “He who does not trust enough, will not be trusted.”
9. “An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox.”
10. “At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”
11. “Great acts are made up of small deeds.”
12. “He who is contented is rich.”
13. “He who obtains has little. He who scatters has much.”
14. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.”
15. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.”
16. “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”
17. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
18. “If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to.”
I hope you enjoyed these words of wisdom from Lao Tzu!
Looking for more positive inspiration?
Image by Kyle Pearce. This image has been cropped and resized.